David Blustein, Ph.D.
Career Development Specialist
David L. Blustein, Ph.D., is a licensed psychologist and certified health services provider. He received a Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology from Teachers College, Columbia University, in 1985. He was on the Counseling Psychology faculty at the State University of New York-Albany for 14 years. Dr. Blustein joined the faculty in the Department of Counseling, Developmental, and Educational Psychology at Boston College in 1999 where is currently a full time tenured professor. He is a fellow of Division 17 of the American Psychological Association. Dr. Blustein has received numerous awards for his work including the APA Division of Counseling Psychology Early Career Scientist-Practitioner Award and the John Holland Award for Outstanding Achievement in Personality and Career Research.
Dr. Blustein also the author of many scholarly articles, research reports, and book chapters and The Psychology of Working: A New Perspective for Career Development, Counseling, and Public Policy (Published by Lawrence Erlbaum, 2006). He has presented and lectured internationally.
Dr. Blustein provides services for individuals, institutions and corporations as an employee of Child & Family Psychological Services. He provides assessment, counseling and career development services with an emphasis on:
- general mental health issues including depression, anxiety, relationships
- school to work/career transitions
- identifying & implementing career interests and skills
- career choice and decision making
- work based life transitions
- the interface between work and other life aspects
- managing mid-life career challenges
- balancing work & family
- optimizing work performance
- understanding cultural issues in the workplace
- developing managerial and supervisory skills
- assisting employees/employers with layoffs and terminations/outplacement
- fostering positive interpersonal skills in managers and executives
Dr. Blustein is available in our Norwood office only on Fridays.
Assessment and counseling specifically for career development services is generally not a medically necessary services and is therefore not covered by most health plans. However, career counseling in the context of the treatment of a diagnosed psychiatric condition may be considered medically necessary and may be covered by a health plan. When providing medically necessary psychotherapy/counseling, Dr. Blustein is a participating provider for Blue Cross Blue Shield, Harvard Pilgrim and United Behavioral Health.
Dr. Blustein on National Public Radio
Request services with David Blustein, Ph.D. (I am not a current client/patient.)